Operations Order (order number-0003) (Road Runner)
All grid references are MGRS grid references.
- 1st Battalion 3rd IBCT
- Bravo Company 1st Battalion
- 1st Platoon
- 2nd Platoon
- 3rd Platoon
- 4th Platoon
- Bravo Company 1st Battalion
A mid level ranking Al-Queda Bombmaker is reported to be meeting with local militia members at a house at grid location. (XXX XX XXXXX XXXXX) to teach local militias new TTP's in IED bombmaking.
The road to the house has two entrances one going west or the house and the other going northeast. The area is within Mahdi held territory and the roads near the house are patrolled irregularly by Mahdi army members.
The Mahdi Army is a militia within Iraq led by Shiite cleric Mutadr El Sadr and had a total strength of about 10,000. They can be identified by green bandannas on their heads. Their main weapons are small arms, RPG rockets and IEDs.
Ayman al Zawahiri is an Egyptian doctor who was a part of the Egyptian Islamic Jihad and was prevalent in the merging of both organizations. He has been with Al-Queda since the beginnning. He also joined the Mujadeen during the Afganistan war with the former USSR. He has been know under certain aliases as: Abu Muhammad (Abu Mohammed), Abu Fatima, Muhammad Ibrahim, Abu Abdallah. Ayman al-Zawahiri is under indictment in the United States for this role in the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and Nairobi, Kenya. He is second to Osama Bin laudin.
Picture of Ayman al Zawahiri
The Mahdi Militia is an Iraqi Resistance organization created by the Iraqi Shi'ite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr in June 2003. The group is armed with assault rifles, rocket propelled grenades, mortars, Strela anti-air missiles, and other light weapons. The Mahdi Army also utilizes IEDs (improvised explosive devices, also called road-side bombs) during their resistance & counter-attacks on Iraqi Security Forces and US-led Occupation Forces.
The Mahdi Army grew into a sizable force of up to 10,000. Moqtada Sadr has close ties with the Islamic Dawa Party, which has ties to Iran.
The tactics of the Mahdi Militia are a combination of sniping, ambushes and EID attacks.
Picture of Mahdi Militiamen they are known for their green bandanas on their heads.
Provide information that subordinates need to accomplish their tasks.
1) 33rd Brigade / 178th IN battalion higher headquarters CP located at (location : 16T CL 59347 69974)
The mission of 178th IN Battalion is to provide security for the surrounding AO and prevent Mahdi Militia attacks upon American coalition forces and Iraqi civilians. The concept of the operation is to patrol the areas of operation and arrest or hinder any suspicious Mahdi Militia members or insurgents planning attacks against CF and Iraqi civilians.
2) left unit's mission: 2nd platoon who's mission is to support 1st platoon.
3) right unit's mission: 3rd and 4th platoon who's mission is to support 1st platoon.
4) forward unit's mission: 1st platoon will be the recon platoon and platoon to arrest suspected Mahdi Members.
5) supporting or reinforcing units mission: HHC 1-178 IN mortar platoon's mission is to provide mortar and fire support for all or any platoons that may need their support.
c) Attachments and Detachments
- EOD is located at battalion CP.
33rd Brigade, Delta company 178th Infantry Battalion will determine if Ayman al Zawahiri is present at the house and if present arrest him and bring him back to the forward operating base (FOB) for further interrogation and questioning.
The purpose of arresting him is to hinder any cooperation between the Mahdi Army and Al-Queda terrorist group and to destroy the infrustructure of the Al-Queda terrorist network.
The purpose of the operation is to arrest Ayman al Zawahiri and hinder Al-Queda involvement with the Mahdi Militia.
a) concept of operation:
The operation will encompass first platoon as a recon platoon to determine if Ayman al Zawahiri is present, once the target is verified, second and third platoon will drive in via humvee and surround the house. With heavy weapons support. first platoon will then go into the house and arrest Ayman al Zawahiri and other Mahdi members within the house. The members will be placed in the hunvees and driven back to the FOB.
a) Phase I:
Preparation for mission:
- 2nd and 3rd Platoons prepare humvees with tows, Mk-19's and 50 cals for mission.
- 1st PL and lead SL will reconnoiter of route
- 2nd, 3rd and 4th PL's and lead SL will reconnoiter road start points.
- Squad leaders do equipment inspection with PSG spot check.
- CO gives oral brief of opord with sand table
- Squad and platoon rehearsals
b) Phase II:
Reconnaissance and stage:
- Movement toward staging areas for support platoons
- Movement towards target for recon platoon.
- Verification of Ayman al Zawahiri
c) Phase III:
Target take down:
- Secure target site
- Arrest Mahdi Militia members and Ayman al Zawahiri
d) Phase IV:
Movement back to FOB:
- Secure arrested members in Hunvees.
- Move out as a company back to FOB.
- Process prisoners to higher command.
Priorities of fire for HHC 1-178 IN mortar platoon are:
3rd and 4th platoon
The PL's will be the control measures for fire.
b) Task to maneuver units:
Specify tasks, other than those listed in paragraph maneuver section and the purpose of each, for squads and attachments. List each in seperate numbered subparagraphs. Address the reserve last. State any priority of sequence.
1) First Platoon:
1st Platoon will leave from FOB location to location (16T CL 58140 72375) and then navigate to location (16T CL 58465 73046) arriving NLT 1400 CST. The purpose of this is to provide eyes on the site to verify that Ayman al Zawahiri is present and to report to higher to coordinate support for the arrest of the Al-Queda lieutenant.
2) Second Platoon:
2nd Platoon will stage at location (16T CL 58140 72375) and wait until verification from CO to move toward target.
The purpose of this is to stage support on the roads going west of the target and to support the recon platoon.
3) Third and Fourth Platoon:
3rd and 4th Platoon will stage at location (16T CL 58465 73046) and wait until verification from CO to move toward target.
The purpose of this is to stage support on the roads going east of the target and to support the recon platoon.
c) Tasks to combat supporting units:
d) Coordinating Instructions:
1) Time Schedule:
Saturday August 11th, 2007
0500 wake up
0700 prepare humvees with tows and 50 cals for mission.
0900 reconnoiter of route and road start points.
1000 first formation at FOB.
1015 equipment inspection.
1030 CO gives oral brief of opord with sand table.
1100 PL gives oral brief of opord with sand table.
1130 squad and platoon rehearsals.
for reconnaissance platoon
1) Movement to contact and ambush.
2) Danger area crossings
3) Hand and Arm signals
4) Zone and areas reconnaissance
5) MOUT dynamic entry
for support platoons
1) Movement to contact via vehicle.
2) Movement to Ambush.
3) Movement to IED.
1) Prisoner searches.
3) Processing EPWs
4) Evaluating casualties
1300 Leave toward Start point1 (16T CL 58140 72375) for 1st and 2nd platoon and Start point2 (16T CL 58465 73046) for 3rd and 4th platoon.
1315 Reconnaissance platoon leaves start point1
1345 ETA of 1st platoon at target.
1530 expected time back at FOB.
2) Tasks to subordinate key personal:
Platoon leaders - Ensure that routes are reconnoitered and have through understanding of the mission. Ensure the PSG understands mission and platoon's role in mission.
First sergeant - Ensure that platoons have every thing they need for mission.
Platoon sergeant - Spot check platoon inspections and ensure that squad leaders understand mission.
Squad leaders - Inspect squad members and ensure members understand mission. Use questions to ensure understanding.
RATELOs - Ensure radio has an extra battery and extra antenna if possible. Work with CO in establishing sand table. Platoon RETELOs work with PL's on their sand tables.Aidman - Ensure you have enough medical equipment for a platoon sized element.
3) Commander's critical information requirements (CCIR):
a) Priority Intelligence requirements (PIR):
Intelligence required by the commander needed for planning and decision making.
- How many Mahdi Militia members can be seen at the target?
- Has Ayman al Zawahiri been located?
b) Essential elements of Friendly information (EEFI):
- If recon platoon is detected near the target.
- If either support platoon cannot continue toward target.
c) Friendly force information requirements (FFIR):
- 1-178 HHC mortar platoon is fully mission capable.
- All platoons are green with ammo, casualty, equipment, and leadership.
4) Risk reduction control measures:
1) We are at MOPP0 (Mission Oriented Protective Posture)
2) Squad leaders will ensure that squad members carry at least two full-canteens of water and/or a camelpack.
3) PSG's will ensure that radios are working for platoon for squad and platoon based radios.
5) Rules of engagement (ROE):
- For all platoons, do not return fire unless fired upon.
- If IED's are detected, back to a safe distance 150 meters and use M4, M2 or Mk19 to destroy suspicous EID's, or if time allows call in EOD.
6) Environmental considerations:
- There may be civilians near the taret site or simply walking down the street, but ROE will be applied at all times.
7) Force Protection:
- Any enemy or civilian searches will be done via SOP
- An CCP will be established behind platoon's vehicle stopping point.
- Prisoners collected after target area is reached will be searched, handcuffed and taped and stored in 3rd and 4th platoons vehicles for transport.
8) Movement Plan:
Location of target (16T CL 58465 73046)
Location of SP1 (16T CL 58140 72375)
Location of SP2 (16T CL 58465 73046)
Location of CP (16T CL 59347 69974)
a) Order of movement, formations and movement techniques:
1) 2nd 3rd and 4th platoon will move out in humvees with aproximately 20 feet of spacing between vehicles.
2) 1st platoon will move out in column formation toward target site. PL's will determine type of formation to be used and type of movement.
b) Actions at halts:
1) Upon vehicle halts vehicles will have 360 degree security at all times.
2) Upon recon halts, platoon will take a knee and after 1 minute will goto prone.
1) All platoons will leave from Battalion CP to their various start points.
2) 1st platoon will start at SP1 and travel 750 meters to target. at an azimuth of 27 degrees grid. The declanation angle is one degrees east, so subtract one degrees from grid angle to get magnetic angle.
3) 2nd platoon will start from SP1 and travel 1.06 Km North to target.
4) 3rd and 4th platoons will goto SP2 and travel 1.19 Km West to target.
d) Departure and Re-entry of friendly lines:
1) PL's will call in before entrance into battalion CP area.
2) PL's will call into CO and CO will call in battalion for permission to leave battalion area.
e) Rally Points and actions at rally points:
1) For recon platoon, at rally points, leaders will get collect ACE (Ammo Casulty, Equipment) reports from members and send up to higher if needed. Platoon leader will make determination.
2) During movement the lead element will determine rally points and this signal will be communicated back through platoon.
f) Actions at danger areas:
1) Upon danger area crossing, platoon will be in covered and concealed position and cross using SOP.
Service and Support:
All service and support will be available at Battalion CP.
b) material and services:
a) class I - rations plan:
- 1 hot morning meal
- 1 MRE for lunch
b) class V - ammunition:
- Everyone has the normal combat load.
c) class VII - major end items (weapons):
- All platoons will have normal platoon weapons
- Platoons have assigned weapons for platoon.
d) class VIII - medical:
- Aidmen ensure they have enought medical supplies for a platoon based element.
e) class IX - repair parts:
- At battalion CP
f) distribution methods:
a) Medical plan and location of CCP:
- CCP points will be behind humvees and where aidman is located.
- For recon platoon, ralley points will be CCP.
b) Personal support plan and locations of EPW:
- EPW points will be behind humvees and have two sodliers as guard.
- For recon platoon, ralley points will be EPW points with two soldiers as guard. PL will call in if any EPWs ae collected.
Command and Signal:
1) Higher's location:
Location of CP (16T CL 59347 69974)
2) Platoon leader's location:
- 1st PL with platoon
- 2nd PL with platoon
- 3rd PL with 3rd and 4th platoon
3) succession of command:
CO, XO, PL, FS, PSG, SL, TL, alphabattically and down by rank
1) call signs:
- 1st PLT call sign: Sierra 4-1-0
- PL: Sierra 4-1-1
- PSG: Sierra 4-1-2
- RTO: Sierra 4-1-3
- 1st SL: Sierra 4-1-4
- 2nd SL: Sierra 4-1-5
(rest of platoons have same format)
- 2nd PLT call sign: Sierra 4-2-0
- 3rd and 4th PLT call sign: Sierra 4-3-0
- (FOB) Battalian's call sign: Sierra 0-0-0
- HHC morter platoon call sign: Sierra 1-1-0
- EOD call sign: Zulu 3-1-0
2) methods of communication in priority:
- 1st platoon
- 2nd platoon
- 3rd platoon
- 4th platoon
3) pyrotechnics and signals, to include arm and hand signals:
- By company SOP.
4) code words:
- Road Runner is operation code word.
5) number combinations (used when forward of friendly lines):
- number 7 is the number combination.
6) challenge and password (used when behind friendly lines):
- challenge: computer
7) running password:
8) recognition signals (near/far and day/night):
c) special instructions to RTOs:
give safety brief
give time hack
ask for questions